Re: ECM j1939 source address

Dear I want to use pl1000e communication through rs485/422

due to **bleep**ing of engine more the 120 meter from penal.

we are using terberg control system, 

if have any experance its comminicate with terberg control maduel through Rs485/422

Trusted Contributor

dave10010 wrote:
Engine location can be changed in the ECM configuration with Cat ET.

Changing engine location in CatET will only change the MID on CDL.  It will not change source address for J1939.  CAT is moving to change this, starting with C140 Engines.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

CAT engines only use source address 00 (zero) for J1939 data links.  You will not be able to connect more than one engine on the same data linke.  CAT has a device, PL1000E, that can read multiple engines on the CDL (CAT Data Link) and place the information on Modbus (TCP or RS-485).  There are also some third party devices that can convert source address. 

Super Contributor

Engine location can be changed in the ECM configuration with Cat ET.

well i definitely didn't change the location.  i don't know how.  is that something i can do thru the screen?  my cat rep told me that he thinks that's how you can have multiple engines on the same can network, but he doesn't know anything more about it.  if there is a way i can change the location i think that would be worth a test.  i'm guessing the source address would go from 00 to 01 or 02 once the location is changed?

Super Contributor

Do you have the engine ECMs programmed for the correct location (port, starboard, or center)? Factory default is port.

ECM j1939 source address

greetings,  first off, i'm very new to engines and j1939.  i believe the version of j1939 i'm using is b, because it uses 29-bit identifiication.  i have two engines that will go on a barge.  one is a c32, and i'm not sure what the other is, but it's a little larger.  i have a plc that will monitor various datas in the two engines.  i have everything configured properly, and i can hook up to either engine and see all the datas.

what i'd like to do is tie the two engine's can networks together, so i can use one j1939->ethernet/ip converter.  the problem is that both engines have the same source address.  that's why i can hookup with my current setup/config and talk to either engine.  is there a way to go in thru the touchscreen, or by any other means, and change the node of the ecm?  thanks!