Super Contributor

Re: ETD (Engine Theft Deterrent) lost passwords

[ Edited ]
Some of reply was left off. A dealer can clear a theft deterrent password with Cat ET and a factory password. Replacement of the engine ECM is not necessary. I assume this is a truck engine and not marine.
Super Contributor

Re: ETD (Engine Theft Deterrent) lost passwords

The factory default theft deterrent password is 4 zeros (0000). If that password has been changed, a dealer can clear the password with
Contributor

ETD (Engine Theft Deterrent) lost passwords

Hello, I recently bought a used Rampage equipped with CAT C7 Engines and I move it to Italy. 20 days ago scrolling the CAT engine computer screen I went into the ETD (Engine Theft Deterrent code) and involuntary locked the device, so I promptly called the CAT service technician to resolve this problem of which I was totally unaware (and of course I had not the password of the previous owner).

Strange fact, in Italy CAT techs apparently never heard of this function on C7 Engines and now after few visits on board in order to fix the issue they asked me to purchase a new ECU board since they don’t have capacity to go over with this trouble without having the owner passcode to unlock it. Sincerely it seems to me very strange that a password reset procedure for the ETD doesn't exist and before buying a so expensive spare part I would like to be sure that there is not a different solution. It sounds unbelievable to me that a "wash procedure" of the ECU does not exist ! Anyway can help me on this problem ?

Thanx