Trusted Contributor

Re: PL1000E

You have some of your information wrong.  The engine ECM dose not have Ethernet.  They communicate the PL1000 over CDL or maybe J1939.  The PL1000E has an IP address but if you replaced the engine ECM only, that should not have changed.  As long as the engine ECM is configured for Starboard the PL1000 should be able to communicate with it.

Visitor

Hi All,

The main ECM on the Sarboard side failed. This was replaced and for obvious resons the configuration could not be coppied over to the replacement ECM. We are now sitting in a situation were we need to set the IP adress for this ECM to comunicate back to the bridge that is fitted with a PL1000. Question is, where do we find the IP adress, i have been told it is on the PL1000 schematic. If i dont have the schematic, where can i get this information.

Help please!!

André.

Trusted Contributor

To make an official inquiry with CAT, please contact you local CAT dealer and ask them to submit a DSN for assistance.

Contributor

d this Active Diagnostics and Active Events which has a data length of 86 through modbus registers. Below are the extracted from Parameter List report screen-shot indicating Active Events modbus addresses shown below.

If you still can't  view the attached picture, will be possible for you to give us your email ? In order for us to send you an official inquiry concerning CAT existing projects in Indonesia and upcoming exhibitions in this region.

ParameterList Report.JPG

Trusted Contributor

The explanation of the Events and Diagnostics are in document RENR-8091.   Your .csv file does not show on this forum.   The parameters that you need to add are Active Diagnostics and Active Events. Each of the Active Diagnostics and Active Events has a data length of 86.

Contributor

Re : Read PL1000E Alarm/Events via third party PLC as master modbus poll

At the moment, we’re having difficulty to interpret alarm address such active events in PL-1000E. If you look at the extracted modbus_registers.csv file from Parameter List Report which shown below, there is no information indicates the modbus registers number for active events in CAT data link.

ParameterList Report.JPG

As we need to map this active events registers to the exact address number (e.g. range between 40061 to 40103) in our access rules database.

Our objective was to read alarm/active events registers occurred in engine which has been translated from CAT data link to modbus output via PL-1000E. Our main focus was to display alarm notification in our web interface similar to what was shown in CAT Communication Toolkit software.

Please advise.

Contributor

Just to add on to my findings, as we have verified both PL1000E devices on the left and right side. It is confirmed that both PL1000E hardwares have no issue. Reason being, we have tried to swap a few units of good working condition PL1000E on the problematic LEFT ECM device, it still give us an invalid modbus data.

Therefore, we're quite certain the root cause of this invalid modbus data was caused by ECM hardware device.

I think we have no choice but to replace a new ECM device.

Anyway, Thanks for your help.

Contributor

It doesn't seem to be PL1000E configuration issue, as I swapped the left problematic PL1000E device to the right ECM, I was able to poll the modbus raw data with correct value. Therefore, the Pl-1000E configuration and hardware, I think has no issue. I am anticipating there might be some thing wrong with LEFT ECM hardware device.

LEFT ECM connecting to LEFT PL1000E - Modbus raw data issue

RIGHT ECM  connecting to LEFT PL1000E - Working OK

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sounds like one pieces of the PL1000E configuration is not correct.

1. Verify the PL1000E has the latest flash file 376-4410.FLS installed

2. Verify the configuration of the PCL file and PTE file used for the engine ECM

3. Print out the Parameter List Report.

4. Copy the PCL file to the PL1000E by placing it in the NEW folder by using FTP

5. Reset the PL1000E

6. Verify the PL1000E is using the current file by looking in the CURRENT folder for the file.  Example: "MyFile_20110817133638.pcl"  The date code is appended to your file name.

Contributor

After the verification, it is confirmed that CDL connecting to CATET was giving us the correct data, but the same data that uses PL1000E to convert to Modbus proved otherwise. I have used Modpoll, a similar program like ModScan32 to poll the raw data, it showed some very huge values (e.g. Engine Speed : 16,385). Nevertheless, the "MPD" Marine panel display still give us the correct value.

Would the symptoms mentioned here enable you to classify the problem ?

Please advise.

Thanks!