Trusted Contributor

Re: PL1000E

You can easily confirm the data on the CDL is correct by connecting CatET and monitoring each parameter.  This will be the same data that the PL1000E uses to convert to Modbus.  Also, you can use a low level program like ModScan32 to view the raw data coming out of the PL1000E. 

Contributor

Thanks for swift reponse.

I am aware on this scalling resolution to be applied of this engine parameter. Initially, my ECM and PL-1000E was working perfectly, I am able to poll the required data at no issue. However, recently I discovered that the polled data from PL-1000E via CAT data link giving us very huge value after scaled.

Example :

Desired Engine Speed (RPM) : 16,385

Engine Speed (RPM) : 32,753

We also noticed if we were to swap PL-1000E to the same engine on the left, it was ok and the modbus data display from PL-1000E was accurate. Therefore, I am suspecting there is something not right on CAT data link connection or ECM device had failed.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The data path will depend on how the PL1000E is configured.  The PL1000E can be configured for J1939 or CDL.  CDL is most commonly used for twin engines applications.  So for CDL the path would be ECM -> CDL -> PL1000E -> Your display software

The "MPD" Marine Power Display data path is ECM -> J1939 -> MPD

Each Modbus parameter has scaling that needs to be applied by the system integrator to get the correct value to display.  You should have a copy of the parameters, Modbus registers and scaling from the PL1000E Parameter Translation Editor configuration.

Example:

• Parameter = engine speed
  • Modbus Register = 40001
  • Data Type = Float
  • Data Length = 2
  • Resolution = 0.5

Your engine ECM is working perfectly.  Apply a scale factor to your display software and you will have the correct values.

Contributor

Hi fanam77,

Thanks for your reply.

After some verification on both ECM and PL-1000E device, we have concluded there was something wrong with ECM device. We discovered that the CAT "NPD" display panel was showing the correct  value (e.g. RPM value) after the engine started, but the PL-1000E modbus output was showing incorrect value (e.g. very huge values) after the data translation from ECM device.

Could advise the connection link between ECM - CANJ1939 - Cat datalink for PL-1000E and CAT "NPD" display panel. As I would like to know the output link from CANJ1939/ECM translating data to CAT display panel and PL-1000E.

FYI, despite several attempt to reflash ECM configuration and check the harness/wiring connection, this problem still presist giving an invalid data in modbus translation for third party device to poll (e.g. PLC).

Is the symptom described above giving you any clue on this issue more to ECM hardware failure or software failure ?

Hopefully, we would not need to change the ECM considering the lead time and extra cost it will incur.

Please feedback if possible.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
Employee

@QuadSurfer's post:

This problem was resolved by flashing the PL1000E with the latest file.

Best regards

fanam77
Regular Contributor
Employee

Hi Earlson,

Using the Parameter Translation Editor program, you have to add two new translations (Active Diagnostics and Active Events) from the Engine ECM to the Modbus ECM.

Then refer to the Events and Diagnostics section of publication RENR8091 for interpretation.

Hope this helps

Best regards

fanam77
Contributor

Can anyone advise on how to read active event and alarm registers from the generated parameter list report in "Parameter Translation Editor" page ? I am having difficulty to read alarm and active event from PL1000E via PLC touch screen panel as master modbus poll. As, there is no direct alarm/event registers defined in parameter list report generated in *.csv file.

In the order hand, I had aslo encountered some very huge values output from PL1000E modbus data despite all the slave ID, ECM address and baudrate are correctly configured.

Please advise.

I also have one of these units that is questionable.  Here are the details.

I had one installed on a yacht (C18 engines).  This unit functioned fine for a while and eventually lost the PCL file.  Lost, as in lost.  Not there.  Gone.  Yeah, wierd.  Had a hell of a time trying to get another one back on.  It eventually took the PCL file and everyone was happy for a while.  Eventually, the PL1000E lost the file again.  Ok, so there is something wrong with it.  CAT replaces it.  The new one is a bit different on the web interface.  The previous one had the ability to set the CAT data link address.  We require 55 as an address.  The new one does not have the section for CAT data link on the modbus configuration.  So, contact CAT to find out what's up.  CAT sends a tech to the boat.  Tech gets there and runs the Electronic Technician connected to his serial port.  He downloads the configuration as an XML file and the CAT data link address is set to 55 and the software shows data. 

OK, cool.  So I go to my system and check to see Data.  Everything as far as configuration is the same as previous.  The old PCL file has been loaded.  So everything should be good, right?  Nope.  I have data for the STBD engine, but no data for the Port engine.  I have a program that reads the data that my system should see and the first 10 registers (port side) are zeros.  I get Port Trans temp and pressure, but that is it on the Port side. 

One could assume that the TCP transmission of data for Modbus registers is working based on the fact that I am seeing STBD side data, correct?

One could also assume that if you change the request of data to less than the total of 26 registers, as long as the request is within that range, you would see the data returned and not all 26 registers, correct?

Or is my PL1000E unit just a pile of pretty black metal now?

Visitor

Good morning know the approximate price? required to hire a CAT technician and pay annual subscription for the use of software? PL1000E will have a manual to see how complicated it is, I only found the datasheet.

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

A PL1000E can provide Modus RS485 or TCP output of your engine data.  A single unit can also provide connection to both engines.  There are also third party devices that can provide this data like www.monicoinc.com