You Talk... We Listen

by New member idigcat on ‎01-11-2012 10:28 AM

pp-tylec-banner.jpg

Last year, we conducted a survey on our Power Generation Online Community and learned a lot about our users and how they like to use this website. We sent out that same survey this year (adding on a few extra questions… of course) and wanted to share the results with you. We also wanted to give all of you another chance to provide feedback, kudos, opportunities for improvement, and the like.

Here are some of the statistics that we found interesting:

• 63% said "education in your field" was the main benefit, followed by "connecting with others" (43%) and "saving time by getting answers to my questions" (29%).
  • 49% work on generator set projects 1MW or larger.
  • 89% of users access the Online Community from once a month to a couple of times per week.
  • 74% told us that their expectations were met or exceeded.
  • When asked, "How important is it to you that a manufacturer offer online communities and forums for their customers?" 29% answered, "It is absolutely critical."

Here are some of the benefits you shared with us:

• "Electronic engines are a new thing in my part of the world and I have 12 machines running on those motors. I have learned a number of troubleshooting clues from the forum."
  • "I learned about how Tier 4 and EU emission requirements needed to be added to our client’s specifications."
  • "I got vital information on fuel base tanks, VR3 regulators, sync. problems of generators, etc. The most useful example and experience I got [was from] members using [the] same community and sharing experience of my own location, Pakistan."

While the survey provided a great amount of information, we have a few questions based on your feedback:

• Would you like a specific discussion thread created to help bring peers in your business/industry together (e.g. hospitals, datacenter, telecom)? If so, which one would you be most interested in?
  • Would you be favor of having a dedicated space on the Online Community to learn about new Cat product/service offerings?
  • If you could change just one thing about the Online Community, what would it be?

So for those of you who had more to say, or those that want to share their feedback now, please post below.

Comments
by Regular Contributor
on ‎01-16-2012 08:53 PM

I would like to see a link to some public documents from CAT, especially Application and Installation Guides, and maybe the old EDS sheets if they're still available.  A lot of questions could be better answered by pointing to those type documents, and a lot of visitors here aren't from a CAT dealer or aren't getting teh support they need from their local dealer.

I run into a lot of customers who get product from CAT, and miss a lot of the proper installation steps just because no one ever put the proper A&I Guide and appropriate special instructions in their hands.  Things like electronic engines, EMCP panels, switchgear and genset have become way more complex and lots of problems occur because end users get disconnected from their normal source of information, the dealer organization for lots of reason. I think this type of forum would be a great place to help fill those kinds of information gaps.

Understand that publications like service manuals and reuse guides need to be kept under closer control, but some of the information that pertains to general application or installation would be better in the hands of as many as our customers as possible.

My two cents worth, Mike L.

by
on ‎01-17-2012 12:16 PM

As this gets larger, it will become harder to find info that's already been addressed, even with the search function, so hope someone is thinking about long term organization/archives.  I already see a lot of articles that are not filed or titled correctly.

by New member idigcat
on ‎01-17-2012 04:12 PM

Dear Mike & Dave,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide input.  We will definitely take your suggestions under consideration as we continue to grow and expand the Power Generation Online Community in 2012.

Best regards,

Jennie Tylec (jen-erator)

by Trusted Contributor
on ‎02-06-2012 04:14 AM
This question has been moved to our discussion boards.
by DFC Standby Generators
on ‎05-30-2015 05:58 PM

Yes, this would be a great place to have manuals available online for reference.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
Announcements
Help us grow the Caterpillar Community: Invite a Friend

Meet Our Bloggers