Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: 3196 electronic intermittent failure.

Updating engine software to the latest version should correct communication issues with the EMS panels.

Hello Paul,

I have 1999 43 Tiara with 3196 Cats that have been have the same Intermitant Gauge issue for a few years. I will check all the plugs and it is still happening. Now the Tack and Gauge clust does not work. It will come alive dueing the start circuit, bet once you let off the start button it looses power. The engine stays running and runns fine. Is there a relay for this gauge cluster? 

Thank you for any help

Regards

Brian Foley 

Foley Marine Solutions

Hingham Ship Yard.

617-429-1035

Contact Universal Synaptics 801.731.8508 - they manufacture and sell Intermittent Fault Detection equipment used by the U.S. Air Force for the F-16 Fighting Falcon. 

They can help you identify and isolate your intermittent faulires

usynaptics.com

Contributor

Hi everyone:

A friend of my was telling some thing like that was going on on his Riviera a littler smaller , powered with twin C9 , I went to the boat and had not luck , because was difficult to trace an intermittent lost of power . Finally the day come in which the port engine and the display will not do anything , the key sw was not receiving power , but this was be coming from a type of protection , a black electronic box inside the console toward the left side . I have little diagram about the connection to it , I realized that the electronic section that control the port side was damage. I connected the port engine key sw to the same output where the starboard engine was connected , and bang , there it was . My friend order one of this box , the problem was solve .  

Good luck

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Impossible to tell without checking you exact installation as to how or where there are relays in the system. Have a look at the panel in the engine room and see? The wiring diagram for this engine is poor so there not alot of pointers I can give.
Visitor

You're probably right in saying that the multimetre isnt quick enough to pick up such a quick change in current but we will try hooking it up to the quad gauge. On the other hand, we did get a hold of some wiring diagrams and couldn't locate any relays on it. Would they be installed as an extra option by the boat manufacturer?? If so any ideas on their location?

Thanks again

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Your best point of monitoring is the ignition feed to the quad gauge module. By measuring at the key switch all you are checking is the switch itself and not the relay and wiring. It would also be very different to see a brief loss of power on a multimeter as most would not respond to a very quick change of current.
Visitor

Thanks for the reply,

We did think of that as a possible problem and set up a multimeter hooked up to the outgoing wires coming off the ignition switch which then supply the rest of the gauges. We then supplied an earth through the gear leads. Unfortunately, the voltmeter didn't show a loss of power when the gauges flickered. Is it possible that there is still a link through another plug or supply??

Thanks for the help,

Bucko

Cat Dealer
Dealer

A temporary loss of ignition live will cause your problem. This could be caused by the any number of items from a faulty shutdown switch to an ignition relay and even a wire loose. To rectify this you need to check all your ignition related wiring and it might be worth changing over the relays to see if the fault moves to the other engine. A brief break in ignition live will cause your gauges to cycle and a longer interruption will result in engine shutdown. 
Visitor

3196 electronic intermittent failure.

Hi everyone,

I have twin 3196 660hp (approximately 1997)  Marine Cats in my 48 foot Riviera. Since about 2 years ago, the Monitoring system and associated gauges for the port engine on the flybridge have been intermittently losing power, however immediately powering up again going through the usual start up sequence. Until early last year this was only an annoying problem that had no affect whatsoever on the motors function, but has since begun to shut the engine down ( a problem when you're trying to berth). It is interesting to note that this will only happen around every 10 reboots and will still allow it to restart immediately after. Having called Cat here in Australia with no luck, I thought the forum might give me some ideas. We have attempted to clean (what seems to us to be) every possibly related connection with no luck at all in solving the problem.

Further information

• seems to occur more often as the motor heats up
  • Have not had the same problem on the Starboard engine

Looking foward to some suggestions,

Bucko