Super Contributor

Re: C9 MPD Codes

Try changing to a different user. There are 3 users included in that software. The screen file could be corrupted for the default user.
Contributor

There are reman units available for both MPD and CMPD (colour). this is your best option. It will need to be flashed with software This can be done on the vessel by dealer field service or dealer service dept may have harness to flash the software in when you pick up from parts dept.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Based on your responce the problematic MPD has the current software. I'm also looking for a diagnoses/ solution for that problematic Stbd MPD. IE: Has the MPD failed ,Can it be repaired, or is a remanufactured oem replacement availble, etc.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Super Contributor

Your local Cat dealer can update the MPD software. 3942605 is the latest software.
Contributor

Good morning, I swaped the wiring harnesses & ran engines. The problem is isolated with the Stbd MPD, on a few start- up occassisions the MPD's lower data field had fewer numbers because the font size was significanly larger than before. This MPD has a build date of 9/14 and I have no history on this MPD. The Port MPD has a build date of 12/04. The Boat build date was early 2005. Upon closer inspection I notice the the software & RBL versions are totally different between the two MPD's. Inorder for the ECU & MPD to comunicate properly must the ECU's credentials match the MPD's software & RBL's version ?  It's seems unlikley the MPD with a build date of 9/14 has failed, or ....? 

the Stbd MPD software version is 3942605-00 & RBL is 3.00

Port                "                         3425790-00       "       1.05

I'm Very appreciatitive of you thoughts and solution.

Thank you

Contributor

Thank you,  I'll perform the swap this Saturday and report my findings.

Contributor

Either way STBD MPD to Port Harness or Port MPD to STBD Harness however the Asterisks on display and J1587 (not used on C9) are indicative of internal problem in MPD.

Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I was thinking of that but wasn't sure of creating more problems. The wiring harnesses are close enough to swap. Can I assume I need to swap both harnesses and then perform normal start up proceedure for both engines ?  

Here is my MPD system info:

Software Version:  3942605-00

RBL Version: 03.00

Serial #: 2554G053MP

The engines have 2005 build dates & have approx 1400 hrs

Contributor

Can you swap port and stdb MPDs to double check that Data Link etc is ok.

Sounds like the MPD has failed. Depending on MPD version some have reman available.

Contributor

C9 MPD Codes

Starboard MPD has stars at the data field. The code is Souce 249 Bow station MPD( there is no bow station only bridge)  SPN: 608/J1587 Network 1/ FMI 2 - erratic. Intermittent, or incorrect. I have gone thru the service manual and tested all of the steps checking the resistors and the harnesses etc. This was an intermintent issue while underway but now this code appears as soon as ignition is turned on.  Engine operates perfect and boat is well maintained. Cat mechanic plugged in lap top but nothing showed up. Any insight would be helpful. Thx for your help.