Visitor

Re: C6.6 Engine not Responding

So, here is my final update on that repair. Changed injectors, reflashed ecm with updated software. That took care of the no response. See: Caterpillar Media publication number SEBD9647-00

Here is what happened: Previous mechanic had installed wrong injectors (321-1070 / 10R7666 instead of 321-1080 /10R7667). The machine controller was commanding the engine ecm to increase fuel delivery but becasuse wrong injectors were installed and updated software was not programmed to engine ecm, engine would not respond.

After injector change and reflash, boost went past 30psi, compressor was blowing like category 4 hurricane.

If you have a no response, low boost situation, you just may have a fuel delivery problem.

Please, please, please, read, read, read. Always go back to basics when stomped by what seems to be a complicated problem.

In my case, I did my research and found the answer on my own. I suspected a fuel delivery problem, and luckily, the customer still had the receipt for the set of injectors that the previous mechanic had installed. Compared injector number on receipt to injector replacement chart in SEBD9647-00 and there was the problem. Wrong Injectors!

@MobileTech wrote:

I'm working on a Atlas Copco with CAT C6.6 engine. Withoul load engine runs fine. Try to load and engine gradually dies down and machine controller displays "Engine Not Responding." Engine was recently rebuilt. New Turbo and Injectors. I noticed that under load turbo boost pressure does not go above 5.5 pounds. Checked for leaks - none. Tried another boost pressure sensor, ECM and alternate fuel supply - no difference. New filters all around. Fuel pressure seems okay. No codes in either engine ECM or Machine controller. Tried to use ET to do "Fuel System Verification Test," message mybkexperience survey from ET is that "ECM is not Responding." Inherited this job krogerfeedback survey after previous technician who could not start after rebuild. Found timing off by one tooth and corrected.

Main concerns: Low boost, Engine not Responding - won't respond under load as commanded by controller, and ECM not responding during fuel verification test. Has anyone ever encountered this before. All suggestions welcome. Thanks

I am looking for some proper solution.

Visitor

[ Edited ]

This is an update. I am on my way to solving this problem. The engine was rebuilt (not by me) to include new turbo, fuel pump and injectors. Without load, the engine would run fine but try to load and that's when the problem started: the engine would gradually reduce speed until it eventually died. It would start right back up though. I scratched my head a million times over until I came a cross Caterpillar Media publication number SEBD9647-00; after reading the publication I came to the conclusion that wrong injectors were placed in the engine upon rebuild. The publication also states that newer injectors are not compatible with older flash files and, therefore, one cannot just replace the injectors and not do a re-flash.

Without replacing the injectors, I've already done a re-flash to the most recent version of the software and the engine no longer shuts down. This is promising because prior to the re-flash I could not run the Fuel System verification Test (ECM Not Responding), neither could I do the Fuel Pump Solenoid Test. Power has now come up to about 75% and turbo boost has increased. I will change the injectors to the right ones soon. I'll come back with more....

This was a teachable event for me. Although I was already aware that I should not take anything for granted, I was assuming that the right injectors (part number) would have been placed in the engine upon rebuild. It was not until I looked at the invoice that my suspicions were confirmed -- wrong injectors.

Visitor

C6.6 Engine not Responding

I'm working on a Atlas Copco with CAT C6.6 engine. Withoul load engine runs fine. Try to load and engine gradually dies down and machine controller displays "Engine Not Responding." Engine was recently rebuilt. New Turbo and Injectors. I noticed that under load turbo boost pressure does not go above 5.5 pounds. Checked for leaks - none. Tried another boost pressure sensor, ECM and alternate fuel supply - no difference. New filters all around. Fuel pressure seems okay. No codes in either engine ECM or Machine controller. Tried to use ET to do "Fuel System Verification Test," message from ET is that "ECM is not Responding." Inherited this job after previous technician who could not start after rebuild. Found timing off by one tooth and corrected.

Main concerns: Low boost, Engine not Responding - won't respond under load as commanded by controller, and ECM not responding during fuel verification test. Has anyone ever encountered this before. All suggestions welcome. Thanks