Contributor

Re: D398B sitting for 1.5 years. Would like to prelube engines before starting, where to connect pum

How cool simple yet very effective. Thanks again.

Visitor

Re: D398B sitting for 1.5 years. Would like to prelube engines before starting, where to connect pum

Hi

Just some parts info on previously mentioned lines group.

Best regards

Gary

IMG_0476.JPG

Contributor

Mikel,

The saving grace for the engines is that they were serviced before the yacht sat for 1.5 years. The yacht has been sitting in Ft Lauderdale and humidity and condensation are an issue. I will follow your advice. Thank you for adding to the already invaluable information you have shared.

Best regards,

Capt Staats

Contributor

Hello,

thanks for the reply it is greatly appreciated. In the past there must have been a prelube pump but for some unknown reason it was removed. I have a new pump that is installed for oil changes and has not been used. I will tie it into the port and if all goes well should complete the prelube. The mains were placed on the back burner working on the 3306 gen sets. Someone burned up the raw water pump impellers by not priming the pumps before starting. The yacht in in light ship mode and the pumps are presently above the water line making priming imperative. Will post once prelube lube is accomplished. Thanks again for the invaluable information.

Capt

PS you can probably surmise there is no engineer onboard.

Visitor

Hello

Caterpillar had a lines group for D398 engines that uses a 2N8908 manual operated sump pump for oil changes and could also be used as a pre-lube pump. You could pump out both the engine sump and or the transmission sump discharging via the three (3) way valve mounted as per your photo. By positioning the valve correctly you could pump engine sump oil into the oil filter etc. As can be seen it was open to human error, i.e. pumping trans oil into engine if a mistake was made with the valve alignment.

D398.jpg

Highlighted
Super Contributor

That's it.

A couple fo comments, that is a lot of stuff hung off that pipe nipple, good chance it may break, so if you can reduce to amount or distance from the tee fitting.

If you do NOT know the storage conditions the engine has been in for the 1 1/2 years, I would recommend at a minimum after you prelube you roll the engine with the starters (fuel off)  to float the crank and get oil up to the top end.

Ideally I would remove all the fuel nozzles and crank the engine over after prelubing and make sure there is no moisture in the cylinders before trying to start.

Regards, MikeL.

Contributor

Mikel,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the responsee. Is this what you are refering to?

Thanks Mikel

Best regards,

Capt Staats

Right Side CAT D398B small.jpg

T20180206_224424.jpg

Super Contributor

If you have an old parts book you can find the prelube pump group and the point where it feed into the lube oil system. On the piping coming out of the lube oil pump, on the backside (towards rear of engine) of the relief valve housing was an oval cover with a pipe plug (some covers did not have a plug), this is where the CAT mounted prelube pump connected the discharge line. See picture below, look where arrow is pointing.D398 Prelube Connection.jpg

You can use the drain port, likely your pump can't push oil back thru the engine driven lube oil pump.

Hope that helps, MikeL

Contributor
Accepted Solution

D398B sitting for 1.5 years. Would like to prelube engines before starting, where to connect pump?

If anyone has experience with D398B 12 cylinder 1980's vintage engines in regards to prelubing I could really use some help.

The oil was changed before storage and looks great. I would like to connect my portable prelube pump but not sure where it would go. I can draw from the pan and have an inline filter. I thought about the drain port at the oil filter housing seeing as it is before the filters but wasn't sure if it would push back into the pan. Serial # 67B2284, can't move the yacht until this is accomplished. Called the local CAT dealer for service but they are swamped until after the upcoming yacht show.