Re: Difference Between a 3208 Industrial Engine and Truck Engine?

Thanks for the great Info Dave.  You are right about the different RPM torque curve.  You saved me from making a potentially costly mistake.  Thank you!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Difference Between a 3208 Industrial Engine and Truck Engine?

The industrial engine achieves peak torque at a higher RPM (1800 compared to 1500) than the truck engine so driveability might be an issue. Also, the current truck engine is CARB certified and the industrial engine has no certification. That may be an issue if you are located in or travel to a state that checks emissios (california). You will likely need to swap the flywheel housing and flywheel.

Difference Between a 3208 Industrial Engine and Truck Engine?

My 1990 Thomas school bus has a 225 HP turbo 3208 engine, serial # 02Z64243.  It is having problems running hot at highway speeds over 2000 RPM.  I am looking to replace it.

I have come across a used 250 HP turbo 3208 with low hours.  It has a serial #03Z05855.  However, the serial number is catagorized as a "Industrial Engine".

Is there a difference in how 3208 "Industrial" and "Truck" engines are built?  Would it be wrong for me to consider installing a "Industrial" 3208 in my bus for highway driving?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!