Highlighted

Re: Fuel pump timing

Thank you for the information.
Regular Contributor

Re: Fuel pump timing

On the early 3306 with compact scroll fuel pumps there is no provision to centre the rack  ( no pin or spacer block ) on the pump itself. You need the rack setting tool group to centre the rack . Also on the early pumps some had a speed limiter plunger which limited governor lever travel to low idle until oil pressure built up to overide the plunger. You therefore have to depress the plunger to allow the governor lever and in turn fuel rack to move freely. Again the tools to do this are in the rack setting tool group. The rack setting tool group are Dealer tools so you have to engage your dealer or independent repairer who may have this tooling.

Accepted Solution

Fuel pump timing

I have a 977k track type loader with a 3306 engine, it has a scroll type fuel pump. I replaced the top seal in one of the injection pumps and accidentally got the pump out of time. From reading the service manual I understand that the fuel rack needs to be centered to install the pump. I'm not sure how to do this. The governor restricts the movement of the fuel rack. Do I need to remove the governor or can I depress a plunger to allow full rack movement? I know how to install the rack positioning guage, just can't figure out how to center the rack. Is there another way to install a single fuel injection pump to get it indexed correctly?