Contributor

Re: Cat 3612 LE Misfire and Detonation Isssues

What is the serial number of the engine? Was it converted to ADEM 3 controls? Yes it does have ADEM 3 controls. S# 002S21026

How many hours does the engine have on it?  Has it had a top end repair performed?  When? Hours: 105,000 with a top end completed at 92,000.

Do you have a current fuel sample that you could share? N2 - 0.0201, C1 - 0.8919, C2 - 0.0715, C3 - 0.0147, iC4 - 0.0004, nC4 - 0.0004, iC5 - 0.0002, nC5 - 0.0003, C6 - 0.0004, C7 - 0.0001

When was the last time the engine was tuned with an exhaust analyzer? December 2017 when we started having these issues.

Is the engine being tuned according to the latest procedure information in the RENR5908-Systems Operation, Test and Adj; it has to be version 11 or higher?  Some techs say they have tuned a G3600 when they really haven't followed the procedure carefully. Our Cat mechanics say that they are properly performing tuning.

How much load does the engine usually have on it? 3200 hp +/- 100 hp

What is the inlet air manifold temperature running? Prior to turbo air temp has been -30C through Dec and Jan. We have been having fairly cold temps but there was a week with -10C and the engine still had trouble.

Do have a coolant leak into the prechamber or the main cylinder; this can cause detonation. Yes we did and we fixed this. We figure it was causing misfires.

Contributor

Thanks Al. I am tracking down the answers to your questions. Had more issues over the weekend....

Contributor

Al knows his stuff and all those questions will need answered to help you out. I have went through detonation and misfire issues all the time. There are multiple reasons for it.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Jay, it will be difficult to answer your question without more info. 

What is the serial number of the engine? Was it converted to ADEM 3 controls?

How many hours does the engine have on it?  Has it had a top end repair performed?  When?

Do you have a current fuel sample that you could share? 

When was the last time the engine was tuned with an exhaust analyzer? 

Is the engine being tuned according to the latest procedure information in the RENR5908-Systems Operation, Test and Adj; it has to be version 11 or higher?  Some techs say they have tuned a G3600 when they really haven't followed the procedure carefully.

How much load does the engine usually have on it? 

What is the inlet air manifold temperature running? 

Do have a coolant leak into the prechamber or the main cylinder; this can cause detonation.

The answers to these questions will help us give you some things to investigate or repair.  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

Cat 3612 LE Misfire and Detonation Isssues

Hey fellas,

I am having quite a few issues with a Cat 3612 LE shutting down on detonation. This is an engine that I need 98% relaibility and I am having troubles keeping up with that. Operators also need to scramble to start the thing up again. After about 24 hours of running, the unit shuts down due to detonation. At first is was a few cylinders but the most recent got all of the cylinders.

My fuel seems to be dry but there could have been an upset which threw some rich gas into the engine. I'm not convinced this is happening every time though.

Any one ran into this problem before?

Thanks,

Jay