Trusted Contributor

Re: Fuel Actuator No Position Feedback Error Code 023-02

Hi 

a bit of topic its regarding Diesel but,

we are facing a lot of issues with the Adem 3 ecms in high ambiant temperatures((middle East).

That the battery life to keep the Eeprom powered is short and fails regularly.

once the power is cycled the enigne returns to factory settings.

Monitoring system goes back to default and also all tuning is lost.

we investigated our population and 40<% above 25000 hours have this problem.

the old Adem 2 fuel cooled didnt had this issue.

so yeah we replace a lot of ECMs.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I am glad to hear that the engine is running better.  No doubt that further proper tuning will improve the operation even more.

The ECM does have a long life battery inside but as I understand, it is not replaceable as a service item.  If the battery goes bad, the only solution is to replace the ECM module.  It is possible that this internal battery is weak and that may be why the dynamic settings went to zero.  However, it could also be that issues with the system like a noisy power supply or poor connection that could have created sufficient noise to cause the volatile memory in the ECM to become corrupted.  When we have suspect causes of electrical noise, the first order of business is to totally disconnect the power supply from the engine control system for about five minutes.   That means physically disconnecting the battery cables, etc.  This will remove all power from the ECM and totally erase the RAM.  Turning the mode switch to OFF/RESET does not take all of the power from the ECM; there is still power being supplied to certain pins.  Taking the power fully off is like rebooting your computer to clear the RAM.

I will be interested in how the engine runs after the tuning process.  Good luck!

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

We identified that the accumulator was not charged and that the Governor and Waste Gate values were all zero.

After making these changes we were able to get the Fuel Actuator Valve to calibrate and the error code dissappeared.

Engine requires further tuning, but we are moving forward.

We are not sure why the settings were reset to 0. Does the ECM have a battery to store these settings that could have failed and after a power cycle our parameters were lost?

Appreciate the help on the previous item.

Regards

David

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Here is an example of the governor and wastegate settings for a G3608 4WF.

Governor

Gain  -5   Stabiity -8      Comp  -24

Wastegate

Gain  -13    Stability  -11     Comp   -14

These settings should work as a starting place for your adjustments to help the engine performance.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Here is an example of the governor and wastegate settings for a G3608 4WF.

Governor

Gain  -5   Stabiity -8      Comp  -24

Wastegate

Gain  -13    Stability  -11     Comp   

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Let me answer the second part of the issue first.  The governor gains should not be set to zero; the engine will not perform well with these settings, in my experience.  The settings should be used to adjust the engine fuel actuator performance to result in stable engine speed and acceptable response to load changes.  I have always seen these governor dynamic settings below zero (slower acting) for better engine response.

The feedback system on the old ESS control system has always been a problem.  That is one reason it was eliminated in the replacement ADEM 3  (A3) system.  You have to be really careful and follow the adjustment procedure exactly, in order to achieve the correct feedback operation.  And even then, it sometimes is finicky.  I have had to adjust the linkage a small amount on some engines in order to make the feedback system work as intended.  The alarm codes will not cause an operating issue as I remember; it is just the shutdown code.  The fuel acutator is calibrated each time the engine is stopped, using the residual energy in the accumulator.  If the nitrogen accumuator is gone (zero), then the ECM cannot properly calibrate the fuel actuator at engine stopped.  So this may be one issue that is causing you problems.  Make sure that the nitrogen accumulator is correctly charged.

The ESS system does work to control the engine but it has shortcomings in a few areas.  That is the great benefit of the A3 control system.  Many ESS engines have been converted with much improved operational results.  It is a costly conversion, but will be less than some since you already have the hydrax control system on your engine.  If you intend on keeping the engine, I would strongly urge you to consider converting to the ADEM 3 control system.  You will gain much improved performance with a lot less maintenance in the wiring and other ESS issues.

Let me know how you fare with the accumulator charge and readjustment of the feedback system and governor dynamics settings.  I think action in these three areas will solve your problem.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Fuel Actuator No Position Feedback Error Code 023-02

We have a CAT 3608 Engine driving a Gas Compressor. Serial Number: 4WF00146.

The unit when run has tripped and no fault codes were displayed in the ECM. When this occurred, the CMS Display unit had locked up and was non-responsive and all communications to the station PLC was also frozen.  A full power cycle is required to reset this.  We have since replace the CMS and the unit ran fine for approx 5 hours.  SInce this time we have expereinced issues with the engine experiencing rough runnig speeds and appears to be hunting and cannot acheive a stable speed. This problem persists when the compressor is loaded. The unit eventually trips with error code 23-07,523-07. 

The EMC immediately reports error code 23-02 ( No Position Feedback - Fuel Actuator) and is sometine followed with the 525-02 fault, Choke Acctuator no position feedback fault.  We have undertaken a check for the Hydrax systsem as detailed in the manual. Linkages have been checked and confirmed that the position feedback is providing the correct voltages back to the ECM unit. We have confirmed that the driver signal to the valve actuators are providing the correct signal. The Hydrax oil pressure has been checked and runs at 220psi and flucatuates by a small amount most likely due to the engine hunting.

We have notices that all the settings for the Governor Gains, stability and Compenstation are all set to zero as are the Waste Gate parameter.  Is this correct? The reason this is being asked is that electrically and mechanically we cannot find any possible causes. We have swapped the fuel and wastegate actuators  over with one another as wells as teh Hydrax Driver units and the problem is always reported as the 23-02. Fuel Actuator - No position Feedback.

We have recently replaced the ECM and the same fault appears.

The system has been in for some 20years and any as build documentation has been difficult to find. Any suggestions would e greatly appreciated.