Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: G3306TA Code 51-9

Here is the part of the schematic for the CAT data link (green and yellow wires).

G3306B CAN Data Link Wiring Oct 2018.jpg

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: G3306TA Code 51-9

51-9 Engine Throttle Position : Abnormal Update Rate The TS manual indicates that the CAN data link circuit test should be performed.

The TS module issues this note: A -9 code that is related to any specific control module may be caused by the power supply circuit to the control module. Be sure to check that the suspect control module is receiving the power before you
troubleshoot the circuit for the CAN data link. If you suspect that a power supply circuit may be the cause
of the -9 code, troubleshoot the power supply problem first.

A problem with the CAN data link is probably caused
by the following problems:
• Short circuit to ground
• Open circuit in the harness
• Short circuit to another voltage source
The next likely cause is a problem with a control
module that is connected to the data link. The least
likely cause is a problem with the ECM.

Then the TS manual takes you thru four steps.  One of those is checking the 120 ohm terminating resistors at each end of the CAN data link.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Visitor

G3306TA Code 51-9

I am working on natural gas compressors that have a g3306ta with emit controls and it is showing a code 51-9 which is the throttle position sensor. I have swapped out a known good throttle position actuator and it still does the same thing. It starts and then speeds up and then just dies. I have been on the phone with CAT basically all day with no luck. Anybody have any experience with this? 

Is there some way to clear the fault from the panel? 

Also, in my troubleshooting, I took the bad throttle position actuator and put it on my known running unit and now that unit is saying the same code.

Any ideas or help is appreciated. I have no experience working on this type of unit. If more information is needed, I will gladly tell you everything you need.