Highlighted

Re: G3516 conversion to G3516 SITA

Al:  Thanks.   I am working with our local CAT dealer to see what we can get done, and the price . They are doing a top end now on the units so this is the time to make the changes.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I asssumed a big de-rate . The power derate would be because the heat energy in the low btu fuel is greatly reduced from the pipeline standard that Cat rates the engine with (905 btu).

The current compression rating is 11:1 .   I assume we have to go down to 9:1 or lower correct?   Do you have to change our the pistons to lower the compression ratio?   The compression would not have to be changed to a lower CR.  In fact, the higher compression will work okay with the lower btu fuel.  To change the CR, the pistons would have to be changed out.

Can you please explain the the TecJet system?  The TecJet is the fuel control module for this engine.  It is controlled by the ECM and gets fuel info from the ECM.  The fuel btu, specific gravity and specific heat ratio are entered into the configuration screen.  The TecJet uses the SHR value to calculate fue volume used.

I don't know what else may need to be changed to run this low heat fuel.  That is why I suggested taking this to your local Cat dealer.  I don't have the info required to tell you what needs to be changed.  The local Cat dealer can inquire to Cat EPG application group for rating request and modifications.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Al:  Thanks.  Yes I got the sn wrong. L6S00119 is correct.  I asssumed a big de-rate .  The current compression rating is 

11:1 .   I assume we have to go down to 9:1 or lower correct?   Do you have to change our the pistons to lower the compression ratio?   Can you please explain the the TecJet system?

Regards,

Frank

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

it was a bit difficult to determine the engine; the s/n you listed should be L6S00119. 

I ran this gen set through GERP (Gas Engine Rating Pro) and the result on this low btu fuel indicated that GERP does not furnish a rating for this fuel.  The recommendation is to contact your local Cat dealer technical group and request a rating request from Cat for your fuel question.  It would appear that at least the ECM flash file will have to be replaced, if Cat has a rating for this low btu fuel and it might be that some components (including the TecJet) will have to be replaced or adjustments made in order to use this fuel.  There will probably be a derate from the standard gen set rating when using this fuel after making the required modifications.  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

G3516 conversion to G3516 SITA

Using 450 BTU land fill gas, is it feasable to convert a C3516B/ SN: L6500119/ AR# 3994469 to run this gas?

Is 3516 SITA / Techject System used from low BTU gas?