Contributor

Re: Multi strike ignition (A3)

Next time I get over to them, I will pull it.
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Taking the multi-strike out of the picture with better results is a bit surprising.  I wonder if there is not still something else in the setup that may be also part of the hard starting.  Can you send me a copy of the configuration to look at?  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

ahunt36cat@aol.com

Contributor

I am sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

it was enabled and the timer was set to 180 seconds. After dealing with hard lazy starting, I dropped the timer to 1 second to see if that might be causing any issue. That is when it fired better and took off.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You are locked out of the enable/disable feature because it is factory password protected.   If it has been enabled with a password, you can turn it on or off by changing the timer.  I would not expect that a timer setting of 1.0 seconds would be noticeable.  If you want to use it, I would set the timer to 60 or 90 seconds; that would give the cylinder plenty of time to warm up and turn the multi-strike off.  You might have to lengthen the time if the ambient temperature is real cold.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

Thanks as always Al!
I figured it was something like that and I do see the timer.

The funny thing is, even though I am locked out of enabling or disabling the feature, I can change the timer. I changed it to 1.0 second and the unit seemed to start better, as in, it actually made it up to RPM. The previous attempts resulted in about 300-320 rpm, just enough to disengage the starter, and the unit would stumble and shut off.

The very first attempt after dropping the timer to 1.0, the unit fired and RPM climbed up past the trouble area much easier. It was still misfiring some and that will be looked into as well. Just wondered if this was coincidence or a solution.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The multi-strike feature fires the spark plug twice for each cylinder ignition cycle.  The multi-strike ignition feature was created primarily for the biogas G3600 engine generator application, where the fuel quality (btu) is poor and causes difficulty in sustaining complete combustion.  This feature is available on the industrial gas G3600 used in gas compression primarily as a starting assist where needed, especially in cold weather.  It cannot be used on a continuous basis; it has a timer that limits multi-strike to 300 seconds and then it turns off on the industrial engine.  Multi-strike is hard on spark plugs as it shortens the spark plug life, since the plug is firing twice the amount that a normal spark plug is fired.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

Multi strike ignition (A3)

I was hoping someone could explain what this feature is. We are going through top end overhauls on our G3606 engines and our CAT dealer is flashing the ECM and enabling this feature. Since these overhauls, we have had hard starting like the engine is laboring hard to get above 300-400 rpm. Nothing else changed that I know of.

I think I understand the very basics of what it is but would like to know more about it.