Trusted Contributor

Re: 3406B pushing Coolant

You must be talking about the steel gaskets on the bottom of the Injector adapters, the seals in the middle of the adapters seal coolant from the lube oil.

Having a similar issue. I found the seals for the injector adaptors were bad. 

Trusted Contributor

I forgot to mention that the additional coolant passages were drilled to prevent hot spots at the rear of the cylinder heads which contributed to head gasket failures.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know many of the details normally required to offer an opinion about the cause of your problem. My first step would be to use a test strip to determine whether the pressure in the cooling system is caused by combustion gas entering. The test strip use instructions will be included with the strip.

If it is combustion gas damage to cylinder liner seats in your cylinder block may have already occurred. I don't know the history of the engine, there were updates to cylinder head coolant passages dating back to the 1990's, but it is possible that the engine cylinder head has never been off the engine or had the updated passages at the rear of the casing drilled. The 3406B engines were very rugged and very reliable. Their demise was fuel efficiency and emissions related.

New member 379

Highlighted

Check radiator cap, you may need to replace it.

Contributor

Sounds like a Head Gasket. Has the engine been over-heated?

3406B pushing Coolant

I have a 3406B in my truck and for the pass few months it is spitting coolant out the over flow pipe which sometimes brings the low coolant light on but if i release the radiator cap it brings the coolant back up in the radiator if i have not done to many miles. It does not run hot only about 170 to 175 if pulling up inclimb. I have had the air compressor check and the radiator cleaned. No lose of power or missing in the engine.