Super Contributor

Re: 3406E Reman Cyl. Head

That may not be the correct software part number for your engine. Just have the dealer update the software to the latest.

Contacted my local dealer and they did not know anything about software update 1851196. Seems that this would solve my problem if I could get this update
Highlighted

I thought I would reply because beleive it or not the parts guys at the local CAT parts counter keep trying to give me the wrong head gasket and I have to give them the service bulitins and they forget all about it the next time they sell a head gasket. The thicker head gasket for the saw cut head does not have an o-ring on the back oil drain hole so gasket maker is required around it to prevent oil leaking, They are supposed to be correcting in but ...

Contributor

Wow, Thanks for the comment. It's been awhile, and I finally solved the problem by re-setting the idler gear lash and rocked the cam gear one tooth "advanced". That means it is about 1/2 tooth to the advanced side. I've always overhauled my own engines myself, up untill this one, and never had any problems before. I paid a guy to do this one and it has not been at all satisfactory. Runs OK now, plenty of power, but uses 1 gal. oil every 3000 miles! Never did improve after break-in. Thanks again, this site seems to have some good advice.

Both head gaskets are NOT the same thickness, the 2245122 gasket is several thousanths thicker and the fire ring is .010 thicker and is for the sawcut head because too much of the 153-9653 gasket sqeezes up into the sawcut and will blow out the fire ring within weeks so the 224-5122 has a thicker layer of graphite to give more material to fill the sawcut, hate it when people who don't know what they are talking about make definative statements to convince people they know more than they realy do. If you have a sawcut head and use the 153-9653 gasket, prepare to be back in there in a few weeks doing it all over again.

Contributor

Thanks for the post, still need to get timing sensor and timing calibrated. Been working the truck alot- but called local CAT dealer today as a matter-of -fact. Front cover and gear-train were not disturbed during ovhl. Truck started missing again today after sitting " idled-up" waiting on an accident to be cleared, really smoked up the waiting traffic.  VERY DISAPPOINTING OVERHAUL WITH OVER $14,000.00 SPENT SO FAR! I will post results of above noted actions.  

Some points to consider. Was cam gear lash checked? Should be .0085" + or - .0045. If the head was milled it would decrease lash which causes the geartrain to excite, which leads to instability of the cam gear speed sensor. Will create the condition you describe of intermittent miss, occcasional smoke. The cam gear being a half tooth off is a problem as well. Indicates either gear lash is incorrect or one other possibility. Dont think it would be normal to remove geartrain during an inframe o/h but.......if the crank and cluster gears were seperated and not timed to eachother that can lead to a misalignment that leaves the cam gear half tooth off. The crank an cluster must be aligned to eachother correctly. Reason is that the cluster has two different tooth counts. In order for small gear to be positioned for correct alignment it must be oriented to the crank at its timing mark. I know this sounds funny and I didnt believe it until I saw it either but its true.

Super Contributor

Have your local Cat dealer update the engine software to 1851196 when you change the speed-timing sensor. Also, have the timing calibrated.
Contributor

OK, Here goes. Cyl. Pack-OR8333. Camshaft- original. Ovh. kit-3487073. Cyl head- 10R5984. Software- unknown, original, no horsepower changes etc. Injectors were 10R0957, replaced with 10R8501. Have not replaced timing sensor yet, but CAT advised #2659033 ( they also suggested I change it., another 200 bucks. Its never been changed.) I would just have CAT install it due to need to re-prob time engine. I'm doubtful because as I stated previously, problems started right after overhaul. Quite a coincidence I think. Also, I've checked the hand primer to ensure check valves are not loose, restricting fuel flow occasionally, my truck also has a liq.-filled fuel pressure gauge and pressure at idle runs 65 psi and about 85-90 psi @ 1500-1600 rpm. When this problem occurs, it usually lasts maybe 3 - 5 minutes, engaging, disengaging Jake Brake does not make it stop. It only misses when cyl. temps are really low. Smokes white, or whitish gray and will fill intersections and downtown areas between stoplights full of white smoke. Only when cyl. temps come up will it go away. Doesnt happen every day, sometimes several times a day. I buy good fuel and change filters often - never see signs of contamination. Oh yeah, I also checked pressure regulator for debris- none. Pulls really good on highway with 80000 # with just a very light black haze when shifting. When starting in cold weather without pre-heat, it sounds awful with ALOT of white smoke. Before ovh. it would start down in the teens with hardly any smoke. This is about all I can think to tell, right now. THANKS.

P.S. Another reason I don't think it's the timing sensor - It would not only act-up with cool cylinders. Also, engine vent press. (blow-by) seems right for a  "new" engine.

Super Contributor

Post the following: Part number of cylinder packs, camshaft, and injectors used in overhaul Engine software part number Part number of engine speed timing sensor and method used to install