Super Contributor

Re: C12 Cat industrial engine

[ Edited ]
No you cannot change an industrial engine to an on-highway truck engine. Call another Cat dealer or truck dealer and ask about an OPT overhaul for your C13. Most can give you a ballpark price.

I have one additional question, please. Would any of the parts on the industrial engine work in converting it to a truck application? I am asking if the block, pistons, turbo, head, or anything (except computer programming, of course) be usable?

If I bought a rebuild kit from Cat for a truck C12 what could be done to make this new industrial C12 something I could use? Just thinking once again.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for not indicating my question was totally stupid. Nobody else was confident in assisting that I had spoken with. That said, Government liquidation has several C12 brand new in crate at auction and the norm is $10,000 plus 12.5% buyers fee plus tax. I really hoped something could be done to make one work. I am convinced you know what you are talking about. I see the big diesel site offer them after the fact for $25,000 and up. They want $36,000 to do a complete overhaul at Cat in Zanesville and being a C13 that does not work for me. Several people have said the 13 is not really something that you will be happy with overhauled anyway. The C15 blue Perkins new sell for about $15,000 but are "industrial" engines also and I hoped that might work, but I have changed my mind. By the way, the new C7s sell for $7000 average. Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it much. 

They also offer new Allison HD4560P transmissions in crate. They auction for between $1700 and $5100. I bought one of those and am shopping now for a 12.7 Detroit.  Those trans are for M915A3 Freightliners plus others with Cat or series 60 motors, 6 speed with double OD and a 0.67 top ratio. I see those used for about the same price, like Vanderhaags. Fortunately I do not need the truck until I get it ready my way.

Super Contributor

You should listen to your Cat dealer. The engine model is C12, which means 12 liter displacement. There are several applications for each engine model. The C12 is available as an industrial engine (stationary power, such as pump, air compressor, chipper, etc), marine, machine, and electric power generation. Every application has varying iron so the engine performs best in that particular application. Many industrial engines are designed to be operated at a constant speed and load, unlike a truck engine. You cannot change an engine application (like from industrial to truck). Your local Cat dealer can help you with an engine overhaul. Stay away from aftermarket parts.

C12 Cat industrial engine

I have access to a engine that is brand new old stock and is listed as a Caterpillar Inc.C-12 Diesel Engine With (ECM)Electronic Computer Module,Displacement 12.ol Valve Lash 0.38mm Intake,Maximum Rated Speed 2200 rpm Low Idle Speed 1200 rpm 290hp,to Include Manufacturer's Check List and Bill of Materials unused In Original Crate.

I am told this item is for generators and is called industrial. I am searching for a engine for my Class 8 road truck. I ask the managers at the regular Cat dealers if I can put the engine in my truck. They all say no. They say they are completely different from the on-highway versions. I ask what is different? They say lots of stuff. I ask them to name one. They say they can not but it just will not work.

I know nothing (or less than) regarding how engines exactly operate, but I can change oil and make them go. But I wonder why Cat was bound in names that they have to use the same number, C12, on entirely different motors? Further confusing is they paint the different motors the same color. Then they say a C15 Cat is the same as a Perkins and use blue paint on one without saying what it is specifically for-airplanes, submarines, motorcycles, etc.?

I actually have a C13 in my truck. I inquire about rebuild kits and instantly get asked about include pistons, bearings, thrush washers, etc., and all I want is how much to fix my truck? How could it run without pistons?

I KNOW there are people who can answer my original question in America. Somebody had to build all these hundreds of different engines with matching identifyers and have a book that tells them stuff.

Can I put this engine in my truck where a C13 is currently? What changes would be necessary? The 290 horsepower is not enough, so what would it take to make it a lot more? What should I expect to pay for parts if this is done?  Has anyone got a C15 new old stock that would work in my truck?