Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: C9 pre ignition conundrum

i think the excercising of the injectors is tied to the air inlet heater operation requirementsThe ECM sums the coolant and inlet air temps and if below a threshold point temperature value eg 30C then heater and injectors will be excercised. If your operating conditions are cold enough to enable their operation but they are not then possibly one of the temp sensor values have drifted and the ECM is reading a false temp value.

Contributor

Thank you for the response Chad....

Unfortunately i dont have a CAT ET, but we did chand the injectors for new ones.

Oil analysis and HUEI inspection are a good idea. Much appreciated.

Contributor

Thank you chrcook...

That sounds more plausable than a fuel pressure charging pump as i have yet to locate any electrically operated fuel pump on the engine.

I assume the activation of the HUEI injectors at ignition would be controlled by the ECM? So if the engine is no longer doing this on ignition, there is a problem with the ECM or HUEI pump?

Regular Contributor

Do you possess CAT ET?  If so, perform a cylinder cutout test, as it seems there may be an injector issue, which if that exists, would indicate the problem cyliner.

I would recommend an oil analysis.  Not too long ago, one of our HEUI injectors was bad, and the deteriorating HEUI pump was the cause, sending metal particles into the injector.

Good luck.

Regular Contributor

The noise you can hear coming from inside the engine is the ECM excercising the HEUI Injectors prior to cranking.

This is normal. 

Contributor

Hmmm.... all fuses and relays are in working order.

Where is the fuel filter priming pump located? Its certainly not on the filters themselves. The audilble noise seems to be coming from inside the engine.....???

Contributor

Thanks aube. Will check

Contributor

yes fuel filter priming pump, which runs for few seconds each time you turn they ignition switch to On.

check the fuse & relay

Contributor

C9 pre ignition conundrum

Greetings from Mozambique!....yes, the only country with an AK47 on its flag....

I'm running McCloskey mobile crushing equipment. Both the jaw and cone crushers are fitted with C9 205kW engines. Recently the cone crusher went down with electronic problems on the McCloskey side. At that point the C9 engine was still running fine...when the McCloskey electronics would let me get it started. I am resolving the McCloskey electronic problems and at least i can start the engine again.

However, prior to the McCloskey problems, when the ignition was turned on, there was always an audible noise coming from the engine, which i assumed was an electronic fuel pump, pressurising the fuel system before startup. This has disappeared. She is now a hard start and idling RPM fluctuates a bit. At 1900 RPM she sounds OK, not perfect, but no smoke out the exhaust, engine knock, etc.

So what exactly is that pre ignition audible noise and how do i get it back?