Visitor

Re: CAT D7R ECM

Thank you for helping ....

Contributor

Certainly not the same software since the applications aren't the same.

Powertrain and Impliment have different components and different usages.

That will certainly not work, unless you can reflash your Implement ECM with the Powertrain software files.

And this is assuming that both ECM are the exact same device as previously explained.

There are too many variables I don't know to give you an exact answer.

If you are able to reflash it to your application, it might work, only CAT ET will be able to tell you if the reflash was successful on not.

I want to warn you here, it's really easy to brick an ECM, when you never did it before.

The chances that you succeed are very, very slim if you never did it. 

You do it at your own risk.

If you are able to reflash it to your application, it might work, only CAT ET will be able to tell you if the reflash was successful on not. If it's not successful, you may end up with a damaged ECM.

Remember. I never told you that it will 100% work.

Visitor

OK sound good

thank you for your helping ......my last question is ;

can I use power train ECM instead of Implement control ECM or vise versa ?

Contributor

No, I don't have info on the specific meaning of these suffix numbers.

It's most likely a production date code, but it can also be revision version.

The most important for you to know is the application and configuration of both ECM.

If you have the serial number of your equipment, and the serial number of the other equipment maybe I can verify what we got here. 

Part numbers of ECM is just for the blank device (not programmed), which can fit on many equipments.  Depending on the application, software version installed on it may vary a lot. That's why the serial numbers are important here. 

Visitor

Thanks Mr.Aube

Really I don't understand what's the meaning of these last two numbers ??

do you know anything about them ?

thanks

Contributor

Maybe..., maybe on the hardware side it will work because it is physically the same device.

But it depend what you're trying to fix here.

The programmable configuration might not be the same, so, just swapping them might not works as you think it will work.

You might also need to change some parameters to make it works for your specific application. Although you have the same ECM numbers, you may not have the same software version installed in it.

But if you are able to re-flash it with your specific application files, then it might work.

That's not a handyman job here, only an experienced CAT service Tech can do that type of task and minimizing costly guessing for you. 

In case you buying a used ECM, advices from used parts sellers are not always the most accurate.

Visitor
Accepted Solution

CAT D7R ECM

Dear Sirs

I want to buy one ECM for Power Train of D7R Truck Type Tractor which has a P/N ( 3045687-01 ) ,,,

the question is here , Can I use another ECM that has same part number just different from last two numbers for example ;

( 3045687-02 ) instead of (3045687-01 ) ???

I will appreciate you to answer me .....

Thanks