Contributor

Re: Crazy C7 Rebuilt - But, knocks and smokes? Help!

The software installed came with the truck and original engine, both the rebuilt engine and reman injectors were all ordered to match original equipment. Pensacola Fuel Injector says no trim codes needed.

This is not a little knock, when it knocks its huge, load, definetly more than just a trim code issue.

While driving yesterday, was running okay not knocking with sensor connected and out of engine, then engine compartment started getting hot, the sensor starting rising due to engine heat (air) once the temp guage reached 125 degrees the engine started knocking. I pulled over and poured cold water on sensor tip, temp went down, and the knocking stopped.

Super Contributor

Need software part number actually installed in the engine ECM, not from the data plate. Were the injector trim files installed?
Contributor

Additional info...

MODIFICATION NO.

AR NO. 258-9208

CORE AR 212-3637

CEM NO C01-00103-327

FLS INTERCEPT -2

210 HP

ECM SOFTWARE 265-3312

PERF SPEC 0K-5107

Contributor

The engine came in a 2005 Freightliner M2 business Class.

We bought a rebuilt long block from Blackwater engines, their paperwork says....

WAX-KAL-SAP-KHX-C7C

SERIAL / ARRANGEMENT #KAL86820/258-9208

Our old engine plate says......

KAL 86820

Injectors...

241-3238

Thanks.

Super Contributor

You have the wrong injectors for the engine software. Post engine serial number, injector part number and engine software part number.
Contributor

Okay, I have an update......purchased Cat cooling system temp sensor......plugged into harness (but not installed in block) started engine, started knocking cold, once engine warmed up knock went away???? Cooling gauge staying at 100 degrees (because not screwed in) runs and drives great warm with cooling sensor reading 100 degrees. Another words I think I tricked the computer, still don't know why she knocks and smokes when cooling sensor connected and reading normally???

Super Contributor

This is what happens when you use aftermarket parts. You get what you pay for.
Contributor

Will replace thanks!

[ Edited ]

check bias temp sensor.

Contributor

Crazy C7 Rebuilt - But, knocks and smokes? Help!

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I have a 2005 Freightliner M2 with a Cat C7 engine. Just replaced the long block with a rebuilt from Blackwater Engines. All rebuilt injectors from Pensicola.

Runs great until temp hits 125 degrees then its like a switch goes off and she starts knocking and pushing black smoke. Checked codes with computer, none. Used software to cut each cyclinder looking for a bad injector, still knocked, could not pinpoint a bad injector. Fuel pressure is 65 idle and over 85 under throttle. Replaced atmospheric pressure sensor, still knocking. Unplugged temp sensor, no knocking with no temp reading, then the temp gauge jumps to 200 degrees and then she starts knocking again?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron