Contributor

Re: Oil leak in manifold coupling/ 3406e 5ek

"... every oil change I add maybe less than a quarter".  I'm not understanding that sentence.  So, in between oil changes, how much oil is added?  Our '95 5EK 3406E's idle far more than yours does, and they don't slobber oil in that location or any other location (save for a couple of loose brass oil fittings that supply oil to the air compressor - easy fix).  Just trying to get a better picture of the issue.

New member Ak

I really don't idle the truck more than 15 minutes; I have apu, but every oil change I add maybe less than a quarter
Contributor

How much oil does the engine use when not excessively idling?

New member Ak

Dave10010, the engine is fresh 50,000 miles on new inframe
Contributor

I would also question the oil consumption rate under operating conditions, as the slobber at idle, in addition to the incomplete combustion process, can be indicative of ring/liner wear. 

Super Contributor

If you idle the engine for long periods of time, fuel from incomplete combustion and some oil will be expelled into the exhaust manifold. The engine is designed to be making horsepower, not idling. If you must run the engine while not moving, raise the idle to around 1100 RPM with the cruise control. This will prevent some of the slobber.
New member Ak

Is it normal to leak from the manifold? I thought it's only for exhaust ( smoke) not fluid
New member Ak

But y does this happen? Would this harm the engine?
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Cat makes an exhaust manifold joint kit (1326660) which stops the leak at the joints. You are likely idling the engine for extended periods of time, which causes slobber.
New member Ak

Oil leak in manifold coupling/ 3406e 5ek

My 96, 3406e is leaking oil right from the coupling of the manifold, and I'm seen a little bit by the turbocharged main gasket, please help!!!!