Contributor

Re: replacement serial number plate

This is something i did not know, so what I did is actually illegal ?. Is this because i put the engine together from other engines or because i used the wrong ecm settings, I'm a little cloudy about how all this works. Over the years i have built a bunch of hot rods ( cars ) and it is common to swap parts and different engine components to come up with the combination that you like. This project is an old pete 359 that was built 35 years ago, long before electronic engines were even thought about. I mean whats more American than a  clean 35 year old truck with a 600 horse power cat.  Hey its all good i love the way the truck is turning out and when it's done I plan on enjoying driving it. But thanks for the info I know rules are changing but i guess I need to keep up on things a little better.   

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: replacement serial number plate

Cat will not issue a serial number plate for an engine that has been illegally tampered. The serial number has now been reported and all dealers notified. It has nothing to do with warranty.
Contributor

replacement serial number plate

Just looking for a little info. A few years ago i put a engine together from a couple trucks we had laying around than ran it a little to get the bugs out, after it was doing ok I put on a reman head and six kits, a cam and six injectors and a turbo all went well and it works real nice and has been for about 300000 miles so i don't really want to change anything. Here's the bump in the road, I used a 2ws ecm with a c16 file and when i went to get a replacement serial number plate the dealer did a print out to order the plate and a day or so later he got a e-mail from cat that said in order to get a the serial number plate i would have to rerate it to the oem file. I don't understand why because warranty has ran out, the only reason I ordered the number plate was so i would have a mfg date. any ideas or did i order the wrong plate ? No big deal i have the print out but ihe id tag may save some unwanted trouble with this eld thing. thanks for any input.