Re: 287B need help

How did you end up getting this solved!? I have the same problem I've replaced the selinoid and valve body
Visitor

I have an 04 287b and had almost the exact problem.  It ended up being that the aleternator was spiking current which would in turn cause the computer to engage the saftey/parking brake.  I replaced the alternator and I still had the same problem so as a long shot I replaced the battery as well and have since put about 300 hours on it with no issue at all.  Hope that helps.

Hi,

Did you ever find the root cause of you parking brake light flashing?

I have the same issue on my 287b

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Sounds about right.  If the ECM warms up it will short out or go open and you will loose all functions.  If sucks cause if is a big part to throw at it, but you do have you have to.

You let up, you lose
Visitor

A guy from heavy equipment forums emailed me the schematics and trouble shooting guide out of the cat service manual and i've gone though it twice and every thing seems good,  today I fired it up and it worked for 4-5 min and was back to it's old tricks, the longer I ran it the worse it got. so I'm gonna go through one more time and I guess I'll order a ecm if there is no change.

Trusted Contributor

The ECM is usually a last ditch effort, if everything else checks out, then that is what I go for.  Park brake coil is under the cab, you will have to flip the cab up to locate it.  Usually follow the travel motor lines, there will be two small lines, one is park brake and the other is case drain.  One will lead to the park brake solenoid.  Trouble shooting is tough on these.  You need to make sure all coils, switches are good.  Ohm all the wires, and if all tests ok, then replace the ECM.  Also watch the connector on the ECM, if they are packed with mud it will release the pins in the connector and they will back out and never make contact with the ECM pins.  Let me know. 

You let up, you lose
Visitor

thank you for the reply

where is the park brake soenoid located

the ECM is kinda burried in mud and other stuff (it cam from a dairy farm)  Is there any way to test it ? or anything to look for on it to see if it's the problem?

the wires all look good

Trusted Contributor

These are kind of picky machines.  You need to check the park brake solenoid coil also, see what the resistance is.  Remove the check all the fuses.  Remove the floor plates and locate the ECM.  Check to see if an animal has not chewed through the wires.  Also I have had to replace a couple ECM's due to they get buried in mud/debris and it gets in the ECM's and shortes them out. 

You let up, you lose
Visitor

I forgot to mention the hyd quik attach still works

Visitor

287B need help

I have an 05 287B  the parking brake light and arm rest light started flashing while i was running it and now  the machine won't move. When you start it up it's normal but as soon as you turn the parking brake off they start flashing again.

I've tried bypassing all the safety switches in the cab  then I checked the coils on the joy sticks they were both at 9.4ohms.and the wires from there to the ecm have continuity.

not sure where to go from here.