Highlighted

Re: CAT 3116 Losing Power and Blowing White Smoke

I checked all hoses, none of them broken or leaking. White smoke

Check your charge air cooler(CAC) for damage or leaks, check all hoses between turbo and intakemanifold for leaks, broken and collapse.
Check your air fillter and clutch plate for wear. What iknd of smoking is bringing out?

Hook it up with scan tool and test run it to the extent of loosing power the scan tool will pick the problem, but this your symtoms look like worn nozzle that when it get hot it spray excessively and when it cold it work normally. Check the quality of the engine oil if is the right type bcos when the oil is hot at time it make injectors misfiring when hot.
Visitor

check your engine air cleaner element is it clogged.

check engine fuel pressure and also fuel oil, is it contaminated.

I have a C10 cat engine that has no power. Already changed the turbo

what else can i look for or do

Visitor

princetonshop wrote:

We have seen similar problems in various kinds of construction equipment and on road trucks.  In a truck this old the replacing the fuel lines would be a good place to start.  This would include the line from the tank to the transfer pump and any other fuel hoses.  The inner lining of a hose will deteriorate and restrict the flow.  When you idle or shut down the lining moves back to normal and flow resumes until the next time.  The fuel lines (hoses) may look fine on the outside but the problem is inside.  Hope this helps.

It took me some time to get to your solution, but you were dead on.  The fuel line from the tank to the pump was collapsing on the inside.  From the outside, the line looked perfect.  There was also a check valve right at the top of the tank that needed cleaning as well, but the fuel line was 99% of the problem.  Thanks.

Visitor

That is an excellent suggestion about the hoses.  I'll go ahead and replace them and see if that helps.  Sounds like good PM in any case.

Contributor

We have seen similar problems in various kinds of construction equipment and on road trucks.  In a truck this old the replacing the fuel lines would be a good place to start.  This would include the line from the tank to the transfer pump and any other fuel hoses.  The inner lining of a hose will deteriorate and restrict the flow.  When you idle or shut down the lining moves back to normal and flow resumes until the next time.  The fuel lines (hoses) may look fine on the outside but the problem is inside.  Hope this helps.

Visitor

The tank cap is vented.  I also removed the cap and ran the truck without a tank cap and it had the problem.  The fuel pressure is around 35 PSI and the fuel volume is quite high.

Trusted Contributor

Is the fuel tank vented?  if it is pulling a vacuum in the tank it will starve the engine for fuel after a while.  Put a fuel pressure guage on it and run it and see what happens.  Also it could have compression in the fuel, but that will usually have a hard start issue and it will run bad all the time.

You let up, you lose