Re: Caterpillar 416 series 2 backhoe

Thank you for your advice.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I would buy a new seat top from your nearest Caterpillar dealer. Reupholstering is not likely to have the same quality of material for endurance.

This is my first time posting on a forum, so hopefully I’m doing it right.

I have a 1990 416 series 2 (5PC13485) with a badly torn seat. Does anyone know where I could purchase a new seat top replacement, or am I best just to get the old one reupholstered. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Please listen to Cal_Tech and remove the filter, cut it open to inspect the material trapped in the bottom of the filter media pleats. If the pleats are clean, have your Caterpillar dealer do a pressure test on the trnasmission and the pump. Have the technician check to make sure the engine low idle speed is correct.

if the transmission filer has trapped lots of debris, the material trapped will indicate what the problem is. If the material is iron and a magnet picks it up, then the transmission pump may be suspect. If the material is clutch lining, then a reverse clutch may be the problem. 

You get where I'm heading with this......

Where is that screen locatef

Where is the transmission filter located, and what kind of fluid does it require? Do you use the same fluid as the rest of the hydraulic system? Also having a little problem with the power steering does it work off the same system, because I cannot find a power steering pump.

Thanks Steve

Visitor

Hello  Friend .When yo drove the machie in forward  You must press the brake pedal to stop before put in rev ? Right?

Weel there are a disacoupling valve  that protect the trasmission for a bump that produce  the sudenly reverse action Test you the trasmision moving slowly  the tractor forward  and reverse without press de brake  .If the rev engage Ok ,revise   the brake control valve

fathead1980 wrote:

I was looking to buy a caterpillar backhoe 416 series 2, when I drove it I put it in reverse it was slow to engage. In forward it was fine, just slow in reverse. After it engaged it was fine. Any idea what could be causing this? Could it be clogged screen or is this a common problem?

I don't understand question

Watch Lockout Online Free

Trusted Contributor

I would pull the trans filter and cut it open, there is also a screen that can be claened.  Also install a trans pressure gauge on it and see what it is doing.  That way you know for sure what is going on.

You let up, you lose

Caterpillar 416 series 2 backhoe

I was looking to buy a caterpillar backhoe 416 series 2, when I drove it I put it in reverse it was slow to engage. In forward it was fine, just slow in reverse. After it engaged it was fine. Any idea what could be causing this? Could it be clogged screen or is this a common problem?