Contributor

Re: 3406 92U Starting issue

Si todas las corrientes estan bien en el reley y no ay corriente en el terminal del arranque el problema está entre el reley y la línia que va asia el arranque ;pero si ay corriente en el terminal del arranque y el arranque no funciona eso significa que el selenoide de el arranque está malo
Contributor

Hola amigo debes verificar con un probador de corriente las líneas del reley deben de aber dos + positivos una - tierra y uno que va asia el arranque el reley tiene un diagrama basado en números el 30 es + positivo permanente el 87 es la señal + que va al arranque el 85 es tierra- y el 86 es positivo + de la llave de encendido también prueba con el probador de luz si yega corriente al terminal del arranque si todas las corrientes del reley están bien pero no ayega corriente positiva del reley al terminal del arranque que es un alambre delgado que va en el arranque eso significa que el reley está malo debes cambiarlo por uno nuevo

So I have power going to that switch and arriving at the solenoid but nothing getting to the starter. Which means it is in fact the solenoid. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
Regular Contributor

That will probably do it, maybe double it up.  I kept a short starter ground cable in my tool box to use for those occasions.  If the starter turns the engine over every time you jump those posts, the coil section of the switch could be defective, but I would also suggest using a meter to ensure that voltage is arriving at the relay from the ignition switch.

Good Luck.

Highlighted

Excellent, I know the switch you are talking about, I can hear it click in the battery box when I turn the key. 12 gauge wire big enough? I think I only have 14 here. Will try that tomorrow thanks for the help!
Regular Contributor

Yes, it should be located in the battery box.  Once you locate it, use a heavy wire to jump across the bigger terminals, and that should engage the starter.  The two smaller terminals - one comes from the ignition switch for the positive feed and the other is a ground.  So you can see here the additional potential for bad connections on the magnetic relay switch, but usually that switch just gets worn out.

A new solenoid is $48. I never thought of the magnetic relay. Any idea on a part number or a picture of the switch you are talking about? I think It's located in the battery box. Just not positive.
Regular Contributor

The problem could be located in the magnetic relay switch, which may be corroded enough to impede the flow of electricity to the solenoid.  When turning the ignition key to the start position, that current from the ignition switch travels to the coil section of the magnetic relay which in turn closes its internal switch allowing full current flow to the solenoid.

Then again, the starter solenoid could possibly be defective, but I would inspect the less expensive magnetic relay switch before condeming the starter solenoid.  Good luck.

I have looked for the serial number everywhere I can't find it. Any suggestions where it might be?
Cat Dealer
Dealer

While I cant say if there is anything else you can check, I can say that in most cases Cat offers remanufactured starters and in some cases they offer components of the starters as well, so they might offer just the solenoid if that is all you need to replace.  That being said, you havent provided enough information to answer the question.  Please provide the engine serial# and I am sure someone will be able to answer more definitively.