Contributor

Re: Engine burning coolant

What is the engine in your backhoe?

Contributor

Sounds like crack in cylinder head exhaust port and coolant going out exhaust. When engine is cold the coolant burns and gives off the white smoke.Remove exhaust manifold and turbocharger. Plug turbo oil supply fitting. start engine and observe which cylinder exhaust port emits the white smoke. This will narrow the down the search area at least.

Cheers

Chris 

Get an answer let me know please, exact issue on a 425 model myself.

I have same issue as above, burning coolant, seems to be contained to the head, no mixing fluids, no pressure in the radiator doesn't seem to be airiating at all. As it sits overnight it looses a gallon of coolant. Pulled head, passed pressure test, but found carbon in #5 combustion chamber and quarter sized drop of antifreeze on the top of #5 piston. Everything in the motor is brand new, head water pump oil cooler pistons sleeves, nothing in the motor is old, within two week or 1800 miles.from day one putting the head on, started burning 2 gallons of coolant on a 600 mile trip. Could hear the motor flutter as the fuel and coolant mix.motors been rebuilt twice now in a year. No signs of anything but the issue with#5
Highlighted
Contributor

I had experience at cat 3406 E .same problem which was burning coolant.I found  out it in waterpump where there is a hole that is provide signal if water pump is broken down via a signal hole.finally signa hole was plugged and the all water goes to engine over the pan goes to breather.

I overhaul water pump Changed coil. the problem finish.

salih Ertekin

Dealer Technican

Hateto break it to you buddy but a 3406 E is an electronic direct injected engine haha.... no pre combustion chamber in the whole entire engine.

Mike Flores

The injector nozzle sleeves may have not been installed inthe head properly or "coined" properly, allowing the coolant to leak from the head and burn.

Mike Flores

My guess would be a nick in a head gasket or someone didn't torque down a head properly. A head leak doesn't always go both ways, so its not surprising that there is no coolant in the crankcase. Once the engine heats up, the small gap allowing the coolant to be introduced to the combustion chamber is eliminated as the hot parts expand. If a torque wrench is applied to the head bolts and the engine is warm, they will probably check good. They need to check those bolts when the engine is stone cold. I have even had a head with a small crack in it tighten up once it heats up. Start with the simple stuff and work your way up the cost food chain. Once those bolts are re-torqued I will bet your problem resolves. Good Luck.

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Honestly it is probably the head gasket, and or one or more of the seals.  Liner protrusion may be out.

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Cat engines haven't used precups in almost 30 years.....good lord......lol