Highlighted
Visitor

Re: 3406e white smoke

6ts ..98 peterbilt. .. motor had a Miss in it with those diagnosed with the bad number 6 with a cutout test.... was taken apart and found the cam lobe and follower bearing was bad reman cam was installed... number 5 cylinder have been noted to be cool before with thermal gun and after engines warms up it was okay passes cutout test
Super Contributor

Re: 3406e white smoke

[ Edited ]
Post engine serial number, engine software part number in ECM, and injector part number. Has camshaft ever been replaced? Has timing been calibrated? Have injector trim codes been programmed in ECM? I assume this is a truck engine and not a genset.
Visitor

3406e white smoke

I have a 3406e that has excessive white smoke at startup and through the day lightly and intermittently only on number 5 cylinder it would appear...I've changed injectors 2x I've done cutout test when the engine is warm the cutout test doesn't show anything bad.. I put a rubber tipped air nozzle in number 5 with the valves closed and number 6 valves open and did not pass any air.. I can completely remove the injector wires and the smoke quits when the engine is cold soon as I reattach them it starts smoking excessively once the engines warm it's not too bad but it still has an occasional Miss and puff of white smoke mostly only at taking off speeds in town on the interstate is nothing noticeable there's no fuel in the coolant no killing no oil nothing criss-crossing everything's good doesn't use coolant doesn't use oil engine cranks and starts fine it's not losing Prime any more ideas or should I just do a leak down test to see if we're crossing over somewhere else although the cylinder was holding air pressure injector harness has been changed does an ECM ever go bad on just one cylinder and mostly when it's cold