Highlighted

Re: ADEM

DGC2020 can you send the literiture my way ?? im needing a little help with my generator which has ADEM II

Visitor

Re: ADEM A5

Hi....

please help me. I need to PIN connection description for change speed control from CAN INPUT to PWM or Voltage control on ADEM A5 electronic governor..

please tell me about which PIN number are for mentioned control?????

Visitor

DGC2020 can you share the literature with me? I think you know where to email it. 

Contributor

Well I ended up finding the literature I was describing. It was fascinating.

If anybody needs 6.8L help please don’t hesitate.
Contributor

Still having problems,
- what memory device stores the monitoring system files, DRAM?
- this unit had a battery charger failure resulting 35 volt exposure, could this have subsequently taken out the internal battery?
- what is the purpose of the 1.2 Volt battery?
- how on earth did this problem just come about? The thermostat is fine this unit was commissioned 10 years ago
- where do the monitoring system defaults come from the flash file or are the integrated into whatever bios software already exists?

What I'm getting at is there any condition that could cause the ECM to default back to factory settings?
Super Contributor

How about posting the serial number as was asked??
Contributor

But if there is no active event code rather just a status flag should the fault still be active? Is this alarm latching? Also I don't show this as a configurable parameter in ET? Can I disable the event response functionality without disabling the coolant temp PGN from the data network? How do you disable?

Please elaborate, this is unsettling information for me.
Super Contributor

The AL4 alarm on the EMCP is caused by any fault or event in the engine ECM. The low coolant temp is the event that is causing the EMCP to alarm. The low coolant temp default setting in the engine ECM is 167F. If the engine temperature has not reached 167F in 2 minutes running, the event is activated. Most dealers will program the low coolant temperature to the lowest value (145) or disable low coolant temp in the monitoring system.
Contributor

That's just the thing, I have all related software and service information. All configurable parameters are perfect... I mean can an AL4 fault even be initiated via a status flag from the ECM. I thought it had to be a diagnostic code or event code to trigger the AL4 fault?
Super Contributor

Ah, a little more detail, if you are dealing with a specific unit, such as your example 3456, then a serial number would be VERY helpful, as there are three different serial number prefixes for theis family of engines, each with their own little quirks and differences. The AL4 on the EMCPII+ is basically telling you that when it is installed and programmed for use on an electronic engine, the engine ECM is telling the EMCP II+ it has a problem, either an alarm or shutdown depending on how it is programmed (RENR1200, EMCP II+ Manual for EUI Engines, pg 48), so first off, do you have the proper manual for the installed EMCPII+ in conjunction with your engine/generator package?

So you have an indication for low coolant temperature, is that coming from the EMCPII+ or the engine ECM, as it can be programmed in either? Do you have CAT ET? Are you sure the engine ECM has no active or logged codes. Do you have the troubleshooting manual for your engine?

Since both the EMCPII+ and the engine mounted ADEM ECM are broad application controls, there could be a large number of things causing your apparent problems, depends on the flash file installed in the engine ECM, how its adjustable parameters are set, and how the EMCPII+ is programmed.

If you want a start in basic CAT electronics and controls, this may be a good place for you to start, https://www.caterpillaruniversity.com/dlms/PerfCtr, you can sign up and take free on-line classes, most are geared towards earth moving but the basic principles are the same.

If you want more direct help from the forum, provide the serial number of the equipment you're asking about.

Mike L.