Contributor

Re: CAT 3516 and 3512 generators cooling issues

Stator ???

This is Engine cooling water issue.

i am also facing 3516C jacket water temperature low problem although i have checked engine thermostat which found O.k and 100% close at ambient temperature and we have install thermostat 89 C but engine outlet temperature not increasing @ 82 C 

Highlighted

My question:

CAT 3512C, we replaced speed drive control but when we start, the engine will run and stop immediately. The alarm says high voltahe and low frequency. Please help, what will we do? Or do you have any technician here in papua new guinea, madang.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

So how about some more details,

1.  Do the units have package mounted vertical radiators? External radiators, etc?

2.  Are the units in enclosures, outside or in an engine room?

3.  At original commissioning was a cooling system audit to include an ambient capability test performed?

4.  What is the Alarm setpoint? What is the Shutdown setpoint?

5.  Have you verified that the temperature sensor is correct? How?

6.  Have you performed any diagnositc tests? Any results?

For a start if you have a decent infrared thermometer available, take some readings and report back. Ideally you would assure the surfaces you measure are the same color and finish, I use a flat black masking tape to mark the target areas to get a consistant emissivity for more accurate readings. Take reading at the following locations,

1.  Jacket Water (JW) outlet near the temperature sensor location

2.  JW temp at the top tank of the radiator

3.  JW temp at the bottom of the radiator

4.  JW temp at the inlet connection to the JW pump

5.  JW temp at the outlet connection of the JW pump

6.  JW temp at the bypass tube (goes from the thermostat housing to the JW pump inlet) about .3 meters from JW pump connection

Note the engine load, ambient temp, air temp at the face (cold side) of the radiator.

These readings properly evaluated will give you a good idea where to go next.

Mike L.

Contributor

Large electrical generator stators are normally cooled by water. Unfortunately, generator availability is reduced when copper corrosion products plug the hollow strands of the stator-winding coil. Such flow restrictions reduce cooling capacity, and if the temperature becomes excessive, the unit must be cleaned to avoid damage to the windings. If on-line cleaning is not possible, or if the plugging is advanced, the unit must be shut down for cleaning and repair. In extreme cases, flow restrictions can lead to plant failures.

Powerful Generator Hamburg

Contributor

1 CHECK THE OPERATION OF ITS WATER TEMPERATURE REGULATOR SUSPECTED JAME . CAN BE CHECKED OPERATION  BY  BOILING IN WATER  ALSO MEASURE ITS START TO OPEN  TEMPERATURE & FULLY OPEN AT WHICH  TEMPERATURE.

2 CHECK ITS RESTRICTION IN RADIATOR & OIL COOLER .

3  CHECK ITS  JACKET WATER PUMP .

4  CHECK ITS AFTER COOLER CORE RESTRICTION .

5 CHECK ITS FUEL SETTINGS.

BATTER CALL YOUR LOCAL CAT DEALER TO PERFORM TA2 FOR FURTHER   ANALYSIS. 

KHAWER
Cat Dealer
Dealer

In regard to the cooling system issues you have mentioned there are several factors to review. Was the package fully load tested (100% of data plate) during commissioning to verify the amount of free moving air into the generator area?  Is there equipment installed now that was not installed during startup that could restrict airflow? What is the condition of the engine coolant, proper additive and SCA levels, and dilution? Have you checked the temperature differential across the radiator with a thermal gun to determine is there is actually a good temperature delta? A cooling system that is partially clogged or restricted may not show an issue unitl it is put under a higher demand or engine load. As your ambient temperature is not excessive it may be a factor if the air being moved through the gen room is not flowing properly. This airflow volume will directly affect the cooling cooling ability especially at higher loads. So the recommended action steps would be as follows

1) Verify coolant condition, including dilution level

2) Verify temperature delta across the radiator

3) How long have the temperature regulators been installed in the engine, potential restiction

4) Is the cooling air in the room moving un-restricted across the generator and to the fan

5) Are the fan drive belts tight and in good condition?

Visitor

CAT 3516 and 3512 generators cooling issues

Hi all

I have the following problem which i hope someone can assist

I have the above generators running at an average continuos load of 60% for the past 2 year with the cooling water temp averaging between 83-88 degree Celsius

These generator are serviced regularly as per the maintenance schedule and all parts use are oem

My cooling problems have been occuring for the past 6 weeks when we need to increase the load to these generators at an continuos load of approximately 80%. The cooling water temp has been steadily increasing to a point of reaching the high water temp alarm. the ambient temp is approximately between 35 - 38 degree Celsius with a humidity of 70%

The both are cooled by radiators and i am not sure if they are high ambient temp radiators

My questions are:

What could be the problem and is there a raw water cooling system upgrade i can order

Thank you in advance

Nathier