Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Help repairing 8L44 generator

I'm pretty sure this is an SRCR tail end, this is a brush type (slip ring) excitation system, so a couple of questions,

What is the condition of the slip rings and brushes/brush rigging?

Have you done a megger test on the stator and rotor to make sure they are ok?

Was the replacment regulator you used "known good"?

Not many folks around anymore who know the older CAT tailends, and parts thru CAT are sometimes a bear.  PowerTronics make a replacement regulator for the SRSE and SRCR generators. Did the old regulator have any burnt or blown components?

Had the unit been sitting a long time before it failed to build voltage?

Have you tried Wyoming Machinery or Wheeler?  Generators of Gillete used to have a guy who had lots of old CAT generator experience but I haven't heard from him in quite some time.

MikeL

I'm in Lander, Wyoming. Our voltage dropped from 480 to 10. We changed out the voltage regulator but didn't solve the problem. There is a large drawer or tray of components( capacitors, 3 kinds of diodes, heat sinks, etc.) . Believe this to be from 1960's.

Super Contributor

How about an idea where you are at and what is wrong? Plenty of folks who can probably help, just depends where in the world you're at.

MikeL

Help repairing 8L44 generator

I'm trying to find someone who can help repair a Cat  8L44 generator end rated for 675 KW. It is powered by a Cat D398 engine.