Highlighted
Cat Dealer
Dealer
Accepted Solution

Extending CAN Bus

I have an application where I need to install a remote annunciator approximately 2000 feet from the genset. Does anyone have any experience extending the CAN bus (maybe using a repeater) to allow installing remote annunciators at greater than the typical distance limitations of 800 feet or so?  Our control panel is an EMCP 3.  I'm concerned that the delays induced in the system might cause problems for the EMCP 3.  Any experiences you would like to share would be appreciated.

Dave

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Re: Extending CAN Bus

I'm also at this same point. We tried using 2 PL1000T's, the documentation says they can be used for exteding J1939, but we couldn't get them to work. We are trying to get some information from the factory about this. http://www.monicoinc.com/ has items geared towards Cat controls, may be best bet. When we get a solution, I will post.

evnwez

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Gentlemen when attempting to extend out to ranges between 800 feet and 2000 feet you can use a Monico Convertor for CAT EMCP panels, you must include a signal booster which is available from Monico and also consider an adjustable pot to fine tune resistance for your applicaton. My dealership has worked with the folks at Monico for quite some time and we have provided many installs with their equipment when speaking with Monico be specific and they will provide you with an efficient solution for your application and they have even built some customs for prime power installs I have done.

Cat Dealer
Dealer

We've used WRC-CANX repeaters from Western Reserve Controls on a few sites. They're easy to set up (there's no configuration involved, just connections for the two networks and normally external jumpers to supply power to the second network) and have built-in termination resistors that can be enabled with jumpers.

Probably the most important thing is using the correct cable. I've seen contractors pull all sorts of different cable -- CAT5E, fire alarm cable, randomly selected shielded twisted pairs, or whatever they happened to have sitting around -- and it frequently causes problems for anything but short runs. I've recently taken a liking to Belden 7895A -- the cable contains individually shielded data and power pairs, and is overall slightly smaller than the Northwire cable I've seen since the data pair is only 20 AWG.

Cat Dealer
Dealer

The WRC modules look promising to achieve what we are trying to do.  Rather than extending the CAN bus on the genset, the device serves two purposes.  It acts as a device on the first network and simultaneously creates a second CAN bus network.  By communicating on the first network, it can be placed some distance away from the genset (up to 250m),  Then the new second CAN network that originates at that location can effectively extend out another 250m.  The published latency is only 1ms.  Since we are not doing anything requiring timely feedback like closed loop control (we are only annunciating alarms), a 1 ms delay in lighting our lights or sounding our horn is unnoticeable.

We are evaluating to see if there are other options as far as cost.  These devices are in the $350-$450 price range.  If you need longer distances, a fiber repeater version is available at under $1200. 

Thanks for the input!

Dave

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Hook up the WRC-CANX modules on the annunciator network today....................................one dipswitch setting,  correct wiring and they both worked first try..............sweet set up............................I would recommend these whole heartedly........................

evnwez

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Thanks for the feedback!!!
Cat Dealer
Dealer

This is a great information on extending the CAN Bus.

We're currently working on a paralleling job involving C32's and 3512's (with EMCPII+). Can anyone have information on how to extend serial data link for the EMCPII+ Remote Annunciator beyond 300meters?