Re: Need help with pig poop power

If you have not found a solution yet, let me know how to reach you.

We provide EPC for biogas projects and had designed systems with pig heads as high as 200,000 average daily population...

Highlighted

If you are using a rich-burn or lean-burn natural gas engine run on ag-gas/digester-gas, you still need to be aware of air quality regulations. Although no particulate is produced by using ag-gas, emissions of NOx, HC and CO are still present and may be regulated. Any rich-burn engine (generally under 500 kW) manufactured after July 2008 comes under EPA New Source Performance Standards and most likely will need a three-way converter to reduce emissions.
LR
CleanAIR Systems
www.cleanairsys.com
Regular Contributor

Actually it's very proven technology. Cat has a huge presence in this technology and your local industrial dealer should be able to help you. If your in the midwest (MN.IA,westeren IL, and the eastern Dakotas/Nr) Thats Ziegler in Shakopee or Des Moines. As for hogs it can be done but it takes 900 animal units to produce about 400Kw. (1 animal unit = 900lbs) in other words it takes a whole bunch of pig *^**!  Martin County in MN has  a huge  number of swine operations but the cost to move waste to the digester site prohibits the project. As does the cost of a bunch of seperate units.

The very best use for Animal  Waste digester generation is on a  big dairy.The waste is kept in a localized site, once the digester has finished it's process the material is sent to a screw press and the liquid is removed and used as a ferrilizer grade nitrogen and the dry material is used as bedding. Everything is kept in one loop with no chance of contamination from multiple waste sources.

Visitor
Employee

I know there have more than 70 such bio gas projects in Thailand, don't know if you know someone in Thailand, you can ask him.

Visitor

Bio power experience is availabel in the Netherlands.

Write an email to:

sven.fransen@pon-cat.com

Sven has been involved in project where manure is turned into electricity by a microturbine.

Look here about one of the projects:

http://www.asg.wur.nl/UK/publications/

Have fun,

Hans

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Need help with pig poop power

Friend of mine runs a pig operation, and wants to look at harvesting methane from the pig manure. Where can I get more information on the equipment needed, and how to do this? And how many hogs are needed to make this worthwhile? Anyone have a pig-to-kw conversion calculator? Smiley Very Happy